On June 14, 2014 several Rendigs firm members and their families volunteered at Hands Against Hunger. This is the fourth consecutive year that Rendigs’ community outreach program, Rendigs Engaged, has donated their time and treasures to this worthy cause. Over 55,000 meals were produced in 2 hours.
Per the Hands Against Hunger website:
Led by inventor Richard Proudfit, the team from Feeding Children International, Cargill, Pillsbury, General Mills and Archer Daniels Midland successfully developed a food mixture comprised of fortified soy, essential vitamins & minerals, vegetables and rice. This food packet can reverse the starvation process, help restore health and improve a child’s physical stature and mental alertness.
There are clear benefits to this affordable food program:
- Vegetarian: Accepted in all cultures.
- Multiple Servings Per Packet: One packet will feed six small children.
- Protein Rich: Each packet contains six 11 gram servings of protein.
- Vitamin & Mineral Fortified: Each serving contains 21 essential vitamins & minerals.
- Global Acceptance: Rice, a globally recognized staple, is used as the base.
- Simple & Safe to Prepare: Boil packet contents in water for twenty minutes.
- Keeps Well: Unopened packet has a shelf-life of three years.
- Affordable: We know of no other food product that is more nutritious or economical.
Our volunteers pack these four ingredients into each Hands Against Hunger food packet. Each of these ingredients serves a very important purpose in helping children recover from malnutrition and saving them from a painful and prolonged death by starvation.