In insurance coverage disputes and litigation, allegations of bad faith can raise the stakes significantly. Bad faith insurance claims allow first-party and third-party claimants to pursue extra-contractual liability, and this liability can far exceed the amount of coverage at issue.
Rendigs’ insurance lawyers represent clients in Ohio, Kentucky and Colorado in disputes involving alleged bad faith insurance practices and claims for extra-contractual liability. With more than 75 years of experience serving the insurance industry, we are well-versed in the relevant claims and defenses. Our lawyers have helped insurers overcome claims for bad faith and extra-contractual liability in numerous cases, both by working with claimants’ lawyers informally and by executing effective defense strategies in litigation.
Defense for Insurers Against Bad Faith & Extra-Contractual Liability Claims Involving All Lines of Coverage
Insurers can face bad faith and extra-contractual liability claims in connection with all lines of coverage. We represent insurers in matters involving all lines, including (but not limited to):
- Automotive liability (i.e., bodily injury liability (BIL) and uninsured/underinsured motorist (UIM))
- Business interruption insurance
- Commercial general liability (CGL)
- Directors and officers liability (D&O)
- Employment practices liability (EPL)
- Errors and omissions (E&O)
- Homeowner’s and renter’s insurance
- Life insurance
- Management liability
- Professional liability
- Product liability
- Workers compensation
- Disaster, crime, cyber and other insurance policies
When facing allegations of bad faith, insurers must take several steps to evaluate their risk and determine the best path forward. As defense counsel for insurance companies facing possible extra-contractual liability, we take a comprehensive approach to assessing our clients’ risk and formulating their defense strategies. In a typical scenario, our lawyers will:
- Evaluate the Applicable Coverage – We will carefully review the relevant insurance policy and provide an opinion regarding the validity of the claim for coverage.
- Examine the Handling of the Claim – We will review the file in order to examine the handling of the claim and determine if any of the adjuster’s practices may rise to the level of bad faith under the governing law.
- Investigate the Claimant – In addition to examining our client’s handling of the claim, we will also investigate the claimant to determine if there are grounds to allege fraud or assert other defenses.
- Seek an Informal Resolution – Regardless of the merits of the claimant’s bad faith allegations, we will assess the feasibility of securing a favorable resolution through non-judicial means.
- Litigate as Necessary – If the claimant is unwilling to accept an informal resolution, we will litigate as necessary. We will pursue a favorable pre-trial resolution through summary judgment or a motion to dismiss; and, if needed, we will present a persuasive defense at trial.
Discuss Your Company’s Bad Faith & Extra-Contractual Liability Defense
With offices in Cincinnati, Louisville and Boulder, we represent insurers in bad faith and extra-contractual liability matters throughout Ohio, Kentucky and Colorado. To discuss your company’s defense with an insurance lawyer at Rendigs, please call 513-381-9200 or let us know how we can reach you online today.